Sunday, December 12, 2010

Deer Hunting Season

Swamp Trail in Pine Grove St. Pk.
 The only thing I like about deer hunting season is that it forces me off the AT into the State Parks.  I have been hiking Pine Grove since T-Giving.  I enjoy walking on the shorter paths in the Parks.  In the summer the Parks are pretty crowded but far less so when it is cold.  On my drive there from Shippensburg the road is lined with pickup trucks of hunters out there waiting for a deer.  Unfortunately they are hunting too near the AT for me to feel comfortable hiking.  I think yesterday was the last day of deer season so I should be OK next week.  Small game season doesn't seem to bring out the hunters in droves as does deer season.  I still wear blaze orange, though, when I walk during the winter.



Mountain Creek in Pine Grove Furnace St. Pk.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maddie (Border Collie) and I go up into the MSF every chance we get. Many hikes are at night. It's a different experience. During the madness of the rifle deer season we only go out at night.